Detailed explanation about Excel mapping process from XBRLizer
The cretaion of xbrl reports from Excel files using XBRLizer is a process we can aproach as two diferent stages:
- Template making. In this stage we use XBRLizer to produce the needed tamplate files.
- Excel import using the templates made in the previous stage
Creating the Excel mapping templates from XBRLizer
- Opening a taxonomy from which we want to create the template
The first step is loading a taxonomy
File:Wiki2016-05-27 14 03 02.png
for this sample we will open a taxonomy from "Catalog", but it can be done also by opening a taxonomy from file or from Internet
File:Wik mappingi2016-05-30 11 24 41.png
Clicking on "Add Cat" button will open the local catalog where we can choose the taxonomy we will use for the template.
File:Wik mappingi2016-05-30 11 25 42.png
Once the entry point is selected, click OK button, this will load all the files needed to build up the DTS
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 25 59.png
- Making a "blank" sample report which will be used as the model of the template.
Once the taxonomy is loaded the next step is the creation of a base report which will become the template.
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 32 19.png
Just fill the information needed for the creating of the report, such a as Entity, Scheme and some period(s)and click in OK button
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 33 07.png
- Rearranging the different views to the desired rendering.
Using this blank report we can check all the views, and rearrange the different dimension for each view, just dragging and dropping the different dimension boxes among the axis. It's very important to do this task to be sure that al the views are showing the rows and columns as desired, because this rendering setup will be cloned to the Excel file of the template.
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 36 05.png
- Exporting to Excel. Once we have the blank report created, go to menu File -> Export (Excel) to begin the templates creation process
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 37 40.png
A windows with the exporting options will pop up before creating the templates
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 49 16.png
- Filter: This radio button will allow to select between exporting the current view or export several views of the XBRL document
- Filter: Depending of which options are ticked the list of available views to export will show Dimensional views and/or Table views
- Using the checkboxes we can select witch views/form (Roles) will be end up in the the template. It's possible to make a quick selection of the selected views to be exported by clicking in the buttons All (to select every view available in the report) ,None to deselect all the views, or Auto to select all the views but those witch has no dimensional information.
- The button Edit on each row of the list allows to rearrange the rendering of the elements of this view. This control works the same as explained in point 3, where its possible to place the different dimensional items among the axis (X: Columns, Y: Rows, Z: Pagination) of the view, just by drag and drop any of the boxes witch represents each dimension
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 13 17 00.png
- Select periods. When dimensional period items (instant or duration)are placed on Z axis the resulting excel sheet will have several forms matching the possible combinations of this periods. You can avoid this by selecting the periods from where you want the forms to be created.
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 13 26 02.png
The Restart Instant/Duration button will reset the configuration of all the rows to default (which means that all the possible combinations will be exported).
- Selecting some tweaks for the excel file. This dropdown list witch determine how the resulting Excel will be created in order to generate some validations implemented as Excel formulas.
- Don't generate files to convert back from Excel to XBRL. This option WILL NOT create the template files needed to transfer back information from Excel to XBRL.
- Export values, don't generate formulas for totals. This option will generate the template files need to convert back from Excel to XRBL. This option does not create Excel formulas on the totals of subtotals using the calculation rules in the taxonomy.
- Generate Excel formulas for totals using signs in XBRL. For calculation rules in the taxonomy of the form RevenuesNet = RevenuesGross - RevenueCosts. An excel formula will be created on the RevenuesNet cell to reflect the result of RevenuesGross Excel cell minus RevenuesCost Excel cell. This means, in order to obtain the desired value, costs has to be entered using positive signs
- Generate Excel formulas for totals using just plus signs. For calculation rules in the taxonomy of the form RevenuesNet = RevenuesGross - RevenueCosts. An excel formula will be created in the RevenuesNet cell to reflect that the RevenuesNet \= RevenuesGross + RevenuesCosts. This means you must enter RevenuesCosts as a negative number in the Excel in order to properly obtain the desired result
- Accuracy for numeric values. With this option you can define the accuracy for the reported facts, it can be done at concept level or data type level, by choosing the XBRL attribute you want to use: decimals or precision. You can also specify the value for this attribute giving a numeric value or the INF literal.
File:Wiki mapping2016-05-30 11 53 52.png
Once you have selected the desired options just click on the OK button to begin with the template creation process.
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 15 42 11.png
- Template files. The template creation process will ask the user for the name of three files: .
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 15 45 47.png
- The first file name is the Excel file name where the data is going to be exported. The Excel file is a plain excel that contains no proprietary metadata.
- The second file is a template file that contains information about the taxonomy and how to generate an XBRL report for the concepts defined.
- The third file name contains information about how to find data in the Excel file in order to generate an XBRL report.
- Click OK to generate the files and wait until a message appears. You can click in the Open button to open the generated Excel file straight forward.
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 14 36 53.png
Creating xbrl reports (importing) from Excel using mapping templates in XBRLizer
XBRL import from Excel implies the use of the templates, To get the
- Select import from menu
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 16 16 11.png
- Pick the template file, notice that template files has the xbrlt extension, .xbrlt is for templates!
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 16 18 10.png
- Let the DTS to load, and then choose the Excel file which will be the data source of the XBRL report.
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 16 27 33.png
- Pick your Excel
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 16 27 41.png
You will see that your Excel file is selected, click OK button to proceed .
File:Wiki mapping2016-06-06 16 27 59.png