XBRLvalid is a simple tool with user interface that executes full XBRL 2.1 validation according to the XBRL 2.1 specification and the rules defined in the XBRL Taxonomies found in the DTS.
This is the description of the XBRL Validation component that is used inside XBRLvalid tool (The Personal Validation tool) and also used by other tools and components in the architecture of Reporting Standard XBRL reporting platform.
Validation is the process of checking the received files (XBRL Report and optionally extensions to the root taxonomy) against the XBRL 2.1 specification. This includes all rules in the XBRL 2.1 specification and defined linkbases. Reporting Standard XBRL is certified by XBRL International and XBRL Europe
Validation can be configured in two operating modes:
1 Online validation
- In online validation mode, each received file fires the validation process inmediatelly. This validation mode and can also be configured in two modes:
- 1a) Static validation mode
- Static validation mode requires the processor to be configured so the taxonomy is loaded when the processor is started. When a new XBRL report is received the validation uses the already loaded taxonomy. Validation under static validation mode takes only tenths of a second. This is the validation mode that XBRLizer uses when a new XBRL report is being edited.
- Static validation mode has the following two limitations:
- The DTSs cannot be extended by the Reporting Institutions (requires closed reporting environments)
- All the possible DTSs must be known at the time the processor is configured.
- During the static validation mode, the processor first recognizes the DTS that would be loaded from the XBRL report. Then, it search for a DTS already loaded that matches the DTS defined in the XBRL report.
- It is possible defining only some static scenarios and one dynamic scenario. The processor will fall back to dynamic mode if none of the static scenarios matches the instance document that is going to be validated.
- 1b) Dynamic validation mode
- In Dynamic validation mode the DTS is dynamically loaded from the XBRL report each time the report is going to be validated. Validation takes longer but in some scenarios this is the only way to perform validation. This is also the validation mode available in the Personal Validation Engine that has a GUI interface. This is the case when the Reporting Institutions have the capability of extending the root Taxonomy. If validation takes longer than 2 or 3 seconds then Offline (batch) validation mode would be the best option.
2 Offline (batch) validation
- In offline (batch) validation, the reception subsystem just tells the user that the validation process has been started and that he will receive an email with the validation result. The validation can be configured to be started in a separate thread that will finish sending an email to the user who submitted the report to the validation process.